September 15, 2010 by Willy Cardoso
A couple of months ago I was involved in hiring a director of studies and thought it would be a good idea to have the following question on the pre-interview task:
- Which three books would you recommend to a novice teacher in search of professional development? Comment briefly on each title.
Of course there were many different ideas about what a novice teacher would benefit from in terms of reading, here are a few answers I had, as they were:
(I’ll spare you the comments though)
- New Interchange
- Grammar in Use
- Principles of Language Teaching – Brown
- Aproaches and Methods – Richards & Rodgers
- The Practice of ELT – Harmer
- Introduction to Psychology
- Something by Freud
- A good book on ‘motivation’
How about you? Which books do you think would make a difference in the life of a novice teacher?